The Merge Tables tool lets you update one table from another. New rows in the update source table can be appended to the end of the main table.
Table Selection Step
- Table 1: Select the workbook, worksheet, and range where Table 1 is located. The "tables" do not have to be Excel tables - any range will work.
- Table 2: Select the workbook, worksheet, and range where Table 1 is located.
Matching Columns Step
- Select Matching Columns: In the second step of the Join Tables dialog, you select the columns to match on between table 1 and table 2.
- Ignore case for matching columns: If checked, the text casing is ignored when comparing the fields in matching columns.
Set Options Step
Merge Options - you must select at least one of these options to run Merge Tables:
- Merge Table 2 into Table 1: Updates Table 1 with values, formulas and number formats from Table 2.
- Append new Table 2 rows to Table 1: Adds new rows from table 2 onto the end of table 1.
- Mark Table 1 rows unmatched in Table 2: If table 1 has rows that don't exist in Table 2, these can be marked with a selected fill color.
Note on fill colors: If you do not want the updated cells highlighted with a fill color, set the fill to white.
- Skip Table 1 cells with formulas: This ensures that existing formulas do not get overwritten.
- Ignore text case when comparing strings: If checked, string capitalization is ignore when checking for updates.
- Ignore blank cells in Table 2: Ensures that checks with content do not get overwritten with blanks.
- Compare number and date formats: If checked, table 1 will be updated with changes to table 2 number and date formatting.
- Add a Change Notes column: Adds a column to table 1 describing each row's updates.
Save time-stamped backup: saves a backup of the Table 1 workbook before applying the updates.